The trial into the death of Daniel H. will start in March. Defense lawyers are demanding that it take place outside of Saxony – for security reasons.
Chemnitz was agitated after the killing of Daniel H. – the trial is now not to take place there Photo: dpa
On March 18, it should be so far. Then the trial is to start on an act that has stirred up Chemnitz. At the end of August 2018, 35-year-old Daniel H. had been stabbed to death in the city, presumably by two asylum seekers. Right-wing marches in the city, attacks on migrants, weeks of unrest followed. Now one of the suspects, Syrian Alaa S., is to stand trial before Chemnitz Regional Court. But the defense is intervening: it wants the trial to take place outside Saxony.
A court spokeswoman confirmed that a request to that effect had been received by the Regional Court. According to taz information, it cites security risks and expected protest actions if the trial were to take place in Chemnitz. It also states that these would coincide with the state parliament election campaign, and that right-wing parties could instrumentalize the proceedings. A fair trial would thus be endangered. Alaa S.’s defense lawyers also requested that the trial not be held in Thuringia and Brandenburg, where elections will also be held in the fall.
"The request is still being processed," the court spokeswoman told the taz. She added that the Dresden Higher Regional Court would probably decide on the matter.
The prosecution accuses Alaa S. of community attempted manslaughter and dangerous bodily harm. On the night of August 26, 2018, at 3:15 a.m., the still fugitive defendant Farhad R. allegedly got into an argument with Daniel H. from Chemnitz. According to Suddeutsche Zeitung and ARD, Farhad R. is said to have. had inquired about cocaine or offered it, H. had rejected him. The public prosecutor’s office, on the other hand, said that the reason for the dispute "could not be clarified so far".
The evidence is still unclear
The quarrel was followed by "mutual assaults," according to the prosecution. Alaa S., who had previously been in a nearby kebab snack bar, then rushed to Farhad R.’s aid. Daniel H. was then stabbed, one in the heart, one in the lungs – the 35-year-old died at the scene.
The evidence against the now accused Alaa S. remains unclear. Investigators questioned more than 100 witnesses. Many, however, only observed the events from a distance. According to his defense attorneys, there is no concrete suspicion against Alaa S. even from the DNA traces. The defense attorney for Alaa S. said to the taz immediately after the arraignment that he would defend for acquittal.
Apparently, it is mainly a witness who incriminates Alaa S.. He claims to have seen stabbing movements of the Syrian, but also from some distance. According to the Suddeutsche Zeitung and ARD, the man was last threatened by acquaintances of S., who also threw a chair at him. A corresponding complaint had been filed in September. The public prosecutor’s office in Chemnitz did not want to comment on this. The spokeswoman of the Regional Court said that the trial chamber was of course examining all necessary security measures for the trial and witnesses appearing there.